Updated: 4 days ago
Piping bags are great for resin casting coasters when trying to create floral effects. They’re also great for piping glitter lines on geodes. Wooden dowel can be found at dollar stores.
Smaller round silicone moulds (20ml) are good to use when practicing piping effects, so you don’t use as much resin while learning techniques. These (shown above), are cut outs from a silicone muffin tray.
When purchasing moulds, check their gloss level. If area resin touches on mould is a Matt finish, the resin piece will also come out with a Matt finish where resin touches mould. If it’s a shiny mould, the resin piece will also be shiny.
- Plastic clay/modelling tools are great for doming smaller areas. These can be found at local dollar stores or Walmart.
- The dotting tool can be found at dollar stores, walmart, online and most artist supply stores.
- A plastic pallet knife set is handy to have on hand for various resin crafts when needing to manipulate the resin. These are found online & at walmart & art supply stores.
- Plastic pipettes are another way to pipe colours or glitters into resin castings or on to art pieces. These are often found online but many artist supply stores also carry these.
- Silicone hair dying brush is great for doming larger castings. Can be found at Sally Beauty stores or online.
- Silicone paint brushes in all styles and shapes can be found online, or in artist supply stores. If it breaks at the metal section, just use resin to glue it back together.
- Plastic squeezable dropper bottles (work great for adding colours to various resin crafts, or squeezing fine glitter into small sections or lines.
- Clear disposable plastic cups work great for setting your piping bag for loading. These are often found at dollar stores, grocery stores, walmart and online. Anything polypropoline will release cured resin.
- 2oz and 1oz medicine dose cups with measurement markers on them or fantastic for use in resin art projects requiring smaller amounts of measuring. These can be found online.
- Fine mist spray container for 99% alcohol can be found online or in dollar stores. Fine mist spray of 99% alcohol can help with bubble reduction of pieces in moulds.
- Plastic tasting spoons are good for scooping out pigment powders and pastes. These can be found in food supply warehouse or online.
- Cuticle pusher is an easy to clean option for scooping out mica powders as well. Most dollar stores, and drugstores, Sally Beauty Supply and walmart have them.
Automotive paint touch up brushes are great tools for painting mica into moulds in tiny spaces, corners and detailed spots. The ones shown here (Leiwoor 300 pcs touch up fine point paint brushes), were purchased online, and there are 3 sizes shown in photo.
Nitrile gloves are necessary. Latex, vinyl & rubber gloves are not chemical resistant like nitrile is.
Costco sells some in the pharmacy area, but they also the heavier duty thicker ones in automotive area. You can find nitrile gloves at Canadian Tire, Princess Auto, workplace safety supply stores, paint stores, hardware stores, drugstores, & online.
deburring tool works great for taking the lip off of cured pieces, but it works best if used shortly after demoulding.
emery boards work great for light sanding of edges
hoping to add video here soon or link to video of creating floral coaster